Style Icon: Iris Apfel

image source:theenglishroom.biz

On my nightly Pinterest perusing, I came upon one of my style icons, Iris Apfel. I love her for many reasons but what strikes a chord with me is her unabashed desire to be no one but herself. I am a rather reserved person yet have always felt a desire to express myself in some way, whether it be through my writing or my clothes. It has taken me a long time to become comfortable in my own skin. Before having children, I was rail thin. Weight was never an issue, yet I was very insecure. Ironically, as my body morphed into what it is now, which is a larger version of what it was, I am so much more comfortable and confident. I think having children did take away a bit of that insecurity because I had three people who loved me no matter what size I was and having them not only altered my waist line, it altered my self love. I knew happiness did not lie within numbers on a scale. It took me a very long time to get here and there are days I still struggle, but I am quick to quiet those voices.

"Fashion you can buy, but style you can possess. The key to style is learning who you are, which takes years. There's no how to road map to style. It's about self-expression and above all, attitude." ~Iris Apfel

Want to know a little more about Iris? Watch this video

What about you, my friends, who is your style icon? I've decided to dedicate 2 posts a month to my personal style icons. I'd love to hear some of yours...
and here is my newest muse, Miss Frida Grant. She was a spontaneous adoption but is proving to be a bit of a maven herself. Stay tuned for our diy recycled dog sweater post! 

Comments

  1. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but this photo of her looks so much like your profile pic, so you can tell that you have similar styles! You're obviously much, MUCH younger, but the facial expression and the glasses? Very cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nicole. I take that as an enormous compliment. Whether I'm 35 or 85, I hope to half the amount of style, confidence, and outlook as Iris. :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Big Magic Moment 

A Gift in the Gym Locker Room

Time Does Not Always Heal