Style Icon: Frida Kahlo

To say I love Frida Kahlo is a gross understatement. (My dog is named after her, I'm obsessed.) I adore her not only for her art, but her spirit. How can one not be inspired by a woman who let nothing stop her. Kahlo painted through excruciating physical pain, complicated personal relationships, and deep loss. Like her surreal paintings, she transcended the norm, pushed the limits of expectation, and demanded respect. Kahlo was no one but herself and I love humans who do just that.
As the summer months begin, my style tends to shift to a more relaxed boho look. As I was cleaning out my closet, I realized how much my wardrobe is inspired by my favorite artist.  I hate shorts and prefer light cotton dresses and skirts. I tend to keep my clothes pretty simple but accessorize with colorful, large necklaces or bracelets, much like Frida.  As much as I love art and style, my true love is words and purchasing her diary over 15 years ago was life changing for me. All quotes below are from The Diary of Frida Kahlo.  (Images found here)
 "Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light."
 "At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can."

 "Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?"
and a blurry pigeon toed version of my Frida-esque look for work today. Necklace from our New York trip (post later this week), chambray shirt, Garnet Hill basic black ruffled dress thrifted for $2, gold and silver sandals uber clearance at Target last year for $5.  


And who is one of your favorite style icons? Leave me a comment below, love perusing amazing women's style. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Big Magic Moment 

A Gift in the Gym Locker Room

Time Does Not Always Heal