Skip to main content

An Ode to Timeless Friendships

I’m writing this in a crowded airport heading home after a weekend away from my  house, my family, my life. All by myself. I spent the weekend with my oldest friend in her lovely home in Arizona. It was something I’ve wanted to do for a very long time but it never quite worked. But then, I just threw caution to the wind and booked the weekend. It was, easily, the best decision I ever made. Over the past two years, I’ve learned that life can change in an instant. I did not want to have any regrets and I think, in hindsight, my heart knew what I needed.


I am so very lucky to have a person in my life that knows me as I was and who I am. We met when we were sixteen and instantly connected. We had many adventures (some we cringe at as mothers to girls now!) and had a bond that glued us together through the tumultuous teenage years. As life happens, college came and we lost touch. Through the magic of social media, we found each other again and met after a long time from seeing each other. As we walked toward each other, we realized we had the exact same outfit on. From that reunion almost six years ago, we have not lost touch. This girl has helped me through very difficult times just by being there. Distance separates us, but we’ve found that miles are just a space that can be filled with funny texts, messages, and mailed cards. There are no words to express how much I love this girl for how much joy, laughter, love, and support she’s always provided.
Saying good-bye was filled with tears. But they weren’t only tears of sadness, but of happiness. I’m so grateful for this friendship, one that stands the test of time and one that makes my stomach hurt from laughter. There is something to be said to finding a person that just understands you without judgement and expectation and takes you just as you are. I’m so lucky to have this in my best friend.

I’m in a state of transition. I’ve left teaching, something I’ve done for a very long time and loved every single minute of.  I left because my heart has always longed to follow this writing dream and things are kind of, albeit slowly, falling into place. But, this is hard. Teaching is part of my identity, it is who I am and who I have been for eighteen years. I needed to be reminded of who I was long ago and this girl just did that. She made me remember how crass, sassy, fun, and hopeful I once was as a teenage girl dreaming of becoming a writer. In the shuffle of life and living day to day, I lost that girl. Laughing with my friend, brought all of that back. It’s never died, just lied dormant. We did not live in the past over the weekend, but rather, we reveled in the present and anticipated the future.  Reconnecting not only with my friend, but myself, reignited that quiet ember in my heart.  It’s tough leaving something secure to try something insecure, but life is too damn short to not at least try. I’d never forgive myself for not trying. 


So, to my dear friend. Thank you. Thank you for the past, the present, but most of all, thanks for holding my hand in the future. You are truly a gift. I love you so very much. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Big Magic Moment 

I just finished Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Big Magic” and in it she talks about how the universe serves up magic and mystery all the time if we are open to it. In recent months, I’ve had some seriously big magic that made me believe in the mysterious magic of the universe. I have to go back years (okay, decades) to my sophomore year of college. I was stuck in the mire of indecision about my major. Accepted into the well known business school, my path was set but, it was not serving me well. I hated the classes, was bored to tears, and cringed at the thought of sitting at a desk looking at numbers the rest of my life. Numbers have never been my thing, but I had the grades to land a spot in the Accounting major. I slogged through because the prospect of having a job right after graduation was my carrot. My heart, though, was within the pages of books in my literature courses. I had a few of them in my beginning years and I’d pass on the finance homework just to read one more page. I’ve alway…

A Gift in the Gym Locker Room

On Saturday, I completed the balance of my shoulder tattoos. On my right shoulder, I have a morning glory for my paternal grandmother and now on my right shoulder, I have a daisy for my maternal grandmother. Both women meant the world to me and inspired me to be the person I am today. They were both humble, hard working, and hilarious. They guided me through life and they continue to do so in their absence. Having them both on my shoulders is a little reminder for me to forge ahead. 
Every Monday, I head to the gym for a long workout. If I'm being honest, I mainly go so I can sit in the sauna after my workout. This morning, after my 10 minutes of scorching nirvana, I headed back to my locker to get my shower stuff. An older woman stopped me and said, "Oh my goodness, your tattoos are so beautiful." I thanked her and she continued, "I made a promise to myself when I made it to 80, I'd get a tattoo." I smiled and answered the usual questions I get from peopl…

Styling a Family Photo Session Around my Son

A few weeks back, we decided to do a mini session with a photographer. I take a lot of pictures of my kids but it had been almost four years since we had family photos done. We had the pleasure of working with a local photographer, Tracey Westgate. She was lovely, affordable, and we had quite a few laughs. I was both excited and dreading it for one reason, my son will only wear active wear. I'm not kidding. There are no button downs, no nice shirts, only athletic wear. Yes, I could force my child into a shirt, but I'm not that kind of parent. Being my third child, I've learned what battles to fight and to be honest, I don't want a snapshot of what I want him to wear, I want a snapshot of who he is right now.
That being said, there is one "nice" shirt and pants that he decided on wearing and I had to go around that outfit. The shirt was gray, the pants were burgundy. Totally workable.
 Rather than match the kids, we coordinated them. Each of them had a simila…