Skip to main content

Styling a Family Photo Session Around my Son

A few weeks back, we decided to do a mini session with a photographer. I take a lot of pictures of my kids but it had been almost four years since we had family photos done. We had the pleasure of working with a local photographer, Tracey Westgate. She was lovely, affordable, and we had quite a few laughs.
I was both excited and dreading it for one reason, my son will only wear active wear. I'm not kidding. There are no button downs, no nice shirts, only athletic wear. Yes, I could force my child into a shirt, but I'm not that kind of parent. Being my third child, I've learned what battles to fight and to be honest, I don't want a snapshot of what I want him to wear, I want a snapshot of who he is right now.
That being said, there is one "nice" shirt and pants that he decided on wearing and I had to go around that outfit. The shirt was gray, the pants were burgundy. Totally workable.
Image: Tracey Westgate Photography
 Rather than match the kids, we coordinated them. Each of them had a similar shade of the color palette burgundy, gray, and black.
The mister and I also donned the same colors and I had a lovely burgundy floppy hat but naturally, the wind was insane that day so I decided to ditch it. 
I also incorporated a black and white blanket, perfect for the hay bales we made the kids climb!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Big Magic Moment 

I just finished Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Big Magic” and in it she talks about how the universe serves up magic and mystery all the time if we are open to it. In recent months, I’ve had some seriously big magic that made me believe in the mysterious magic of the universe. I have to go back years (okay, decades) to my sophomore year of college. I was stuck in the mire of indecision about my major. Accepted into the well known business school, my path was set but, it was not serving me well. I hated the classes, was bored to tears, and cringed at the thought of sitting at a desk looking at numbers the rest of my life. Numbers have never been my thing, but I had the grades to land a spot in the Accounting major. I slogged through because the prospect of having a job right after graduation was my carrot. My heart, though, was within the pages of books in my literature courses. I had a few of them in my beginning years and I’d pass on the finance homework just to read one more page. I’ve alway…

A Gift in the Gym Locker Room

On Saturday, I completed the balance of my shoulder tattoos. On my right shoulder, I have a morning glory for my paternal grandmother and now on my right shoulder, I have a daisy for my maternal grandmother. Both women meant the world to me and inspired me to be the person I am today. They were both humble, hard working, and hilarious. They guided me through life and they continue to do so in their absence. Having them both on my shoulders is a little reminder for me to forge ahead. 
Every Monday, I head to the gym for a long workout. If I'm being honest, I mainly go so I can sit in the sauna after my workout. This morning, after my 10 minutes of scorching nirvana, I headed back to my locker to get my shower stuff. An older woman stopped me and said, "Oh my goodness, your tattoos are so beautiful." I thanked her and she continued, "I made a promise to myself when I made it to 80, I'd get a tattoo." I smiled and answered the usual questions I get from peopl…